Embracing the Four-Day Workweek: What Employers Should Know
As more and more workers feel the strain of the five-day workweek, many are beginning to consider the advantages of the four-day workweek. This shift would not only provide workers with more time to pursue personal endeavors but could also lead to increased productivity and a shift in priorities. A recent survey from Robert Half found that 93% of U.S. managers support the concept of a four-day workweek for their team and that 64% expect their companies to transition to one within the next five years.
The David Suzuki Foundation has been offering a four-day workweek since its inception in 1990 and has noted that it has improved employees' lives as they have more time to rest, pursue other interests, and spend time with family and friends. The non-profit group 4 Day Week Global has also conducted trials into the impacts of a four-day workweek on businesses. The trial began in February 2022 with 33 companies enacting a “meaningful work time reduction” for six months without reducing pay. Additionally, 4 Day Week Global has helped 60 North American firms cumulatively employing more than 4,000 people to make the shift to a four-day working week.
Employers considering implementing a four-day workweek should consider the following factors: the type of work they do and the customer demands, the productivity of the employees, and the legalities of the change. It is important to note that while attractive to existing and potential employees, the four-day week could present more risks than rewards for employers.
0. “Survey Finds Support For Four-Day Workweek | News/Talk/Sports 94.9 WSJM” News/Talk/Sports 94.9 WSJM, 31 Jan. 2023, https://www.wsjm.com/2023/01/31/survey-finds-support-for-four-day-workweek/
1. “These Montreal Companies Offer A 4-Day Week (Mostly) & They're Hiring Right Now” MTL Blog, 1 Feb. 2023, https://www.mtlblog.com/montreal/these-montreal-companies-offer-a-4-day-week-mostly-theyre-hiring-right-now
2. “Four-day weeks are working for some businesses. What about architects?” Archinect, 31 Jan. 2023, https://archinect.com/news/article/150337527/four-day-weeks-are-working-for-some-businesses-what-about-architects
3. “A four-day working week still requires seven days security” TechRadar, 3 Feb. 2023, https://www.techradar.com/opinion/a-four-day-working-week-still-requires-seven-days-security
4. “A Kickstarter employee chronicles her four-day workweek” Employee Benefit News, 30 Jan. 2023, https://www.benefitnews.com/news/a-kickstarter-employee-chronicles-her-four-day-workweek
5. “Are 4-Day Work Weeks Right 4 Employers? | Frantz Ward LLP – JDSupra” JD Supra, 1 Feb. 2023, https://www.jdsupra.com/legalnews/are-4-day-work-weeks-right-4-employers-6685912/