Americans Remain Optimistic Despite Economic Woes
A new Gallup poll released Wednesday found that half of Americans have reported their financial situation is worse than it was a year ago, the highest amount since the Great Recession of 2008 and 2009. Despite this, Americans remain optimistic about the coming year, with 60% expecting to be better off financially and 28% expecting to be worse off.
Inflation has been a major concern for North Carolinians, according to a High Point University poll, with more than half of respondents saying it is worse than expected. They also reported higher prices for eggs (74%), meat (63%) and gas (59%) compared to last year.
In the Gallup poll, Republicans have been more pessimistic than Democrats, with 90% of Republicans describing the economy as “poor” compared to 59% of Democrats. A record 48% of Americans predict the stock market will decline in the first half of 2023, while 18% expect it to remain the same and 31% say it will go up.
The public’s outlook for economic growth and the stock market is the most pessimistic in Gallup’s periodic trend, and while they are optimistic about their personal financial situation, 87% of North Carolinians said they have changed their spending due to inflation concerns. Most (64%) also said they had not canceled any health care appointments because of cost, and 56% said they had not delayed health care services out of fear of high prices.
0. “Half Of Americans Say Finances ‘Worse,’ Poll Finds” Forbes, 8 Feb. 2023, https://www.forbes.com/sites/anafaguy/2023/02/08/half-of-americans-say-finances-worse-poll-finds
1. “Americans are feeling the worst about their money since the Great Recession” Fortune, 8 Feb. 2023, https://fortune.com/2023/02/08/americans-feeling-financially-worse-since-great-recession/
2. “HPU Poll: Majority in North Carolina Say Inflation Has Been Worse Than Expected” High Point University, 27 Jan. 2023, https://www.highpoint.edu/blog/2023/01/hpu-poll-majority-in-north-carolina-say-inflation-has-been-worse-than-expected
3. “Americans Pessimistic About Inflation, Stock Market” Gallup Poll, 6 Feb. 2023, https://news.gallup.com/poll/469322/americans-pessimistic-inflation-stock-market.aspx
4. “A Record Share of Americans Say the Stock Market Is Primed to Fall: Gallup” Yahoo Money, 6 Feb. 2023, https://money.yahoo.com/record-share-americans-stock-market-175512788.html
5. “Poll: Inflation worse than expected in North Carolina” Washington Examiner, 31 Jan. 2023, https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/poll-inflation-worse-than-expected-in-north-carolina